It hadn’t occurred to me how great instant mashed potatoes are for camping until our Memorial Day weekend camping trip. We brought a pack of mashed potatoes with us to go along with our BBQ Chicken Foil Packs for dinner one night of the trip.
After getting drenched while on a walk and with the rain not slowing down, we hunkered down under our canopy. We decided that it would be nice to warm up with a hot meal for lunch instead.
The rain finally broke so I started the fire for the foil packs. Liz boiled some water for the potatoes.
The type we bought, as luck would have it, only requires water. No milk or butter was called for (although you could add it if you wanted to).
All you have to do is pour the potato flakes into the boiling water and stir. Really easy.
After lunch, we both felt much better. We started to dry out and we were warm enough to move on to the day’s next activity.
Benefits of instant mashed potatoes as camping food:
- Small, lightweight package is easy to pack
- Dry flakes means you don’t have to worry about spills
- Doesn’t need to be kept cold
- Easy to make with only water
- Made from real potatoes, not an imitation
- Plenty of carbohydrates provide slow burning energy
- Warms you up on chilly nights
What would you make with a pack of instant mashed potatoes on your next camping trip?