Hi, my name is Raun and I’m an introvert. To get a real idea of how I operate, check out “10 Myths About Introverts” from OwlCityBlog.com. It describes me to a “T”. Now that we have the term introvert defined, here’s why Twitter makes so much sense to me.
1. I don’t text. Why tweet? — I avoided it for a long time because I couldn’t figure out why anyone would have to spew 140-character bursts to their followers at any point in time for any reason. I overlooked the fact that I’m very good at speaking in short bursts. Having a limit of 140 characters means I have just as much opportunity to share as everyone else. Some people are true wordsmiths — they are limited to the same tweet length.
2. I can build real relationships in small bursts — I have met several people via Twitter that I never would have interacted with otherwise. When I feel like talking to someone, I can. There’s no obligation to participate beyond a single tweet.
3. People share things they are experiencing at that moment — Some people lead really interesting lives. I am quite capable of living vicariously through them. I don’t have a need to be constantly active so I can revel in their enjoyment without being disappointed that I’m not there with them.
4. I stockpile small details about people as they share — I remember small (some would say insignificant) details about people I enjoy. By participating in their lives by reading their tweets, I’m gaining a more complete understanding of their perspective, which makes it easier for my introverted self to interact in the future.
5. It’s possible to interact personally with people that I’ll probably never meet face to face — Celebrities and athletes are the easy examples of this. Shortly after opening my Twitter account, I got into a fun battle of wits with Iron Chef Michael Symon. Like I said — never in real life.
Bonus: BufferApp makes it very easy to share tweets over time rather than sending several tweets all at once. If you’d like to give it a try (it’s free) go to BufferApp.com.
If you’re interested in interacting with me personally on Twitter, you can find me here. I’d be happy to have you!
What do you think about Twitter? Does it work for you? Is it a waste of time? Share your thoughts below.