This flatbread recipe comes together quickly and uses very few ingredients. There is no yeast in the flatbread, so the dough won’t rise. This means it can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or cooler for at least a few days. This is a great recipe pre-make for camping trips.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/4 cup to use when rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, etc.)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cut into cubes, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup water, plus extra, as needed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Grill or Griddle
There are lots of possibilities to finish this flatbread off. Add tomato sauce, cheese, and meats and vegetables to make grilled pizza. Rub it with garlic to make garlic bread. You could also add garlic powder to the dough. Leave it plain and eat it with a creamy soup.
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda’s
- I should have added another tablespoon of water to the dough. As I rolled it, it became a bit crumbly.
- I chose to leave the herbs out, but was left with a somewhat bland bread. The herbs would have really added something to the flavor profile.